Mar 04, 2024
The Global Scholars Program is a four-year honors program for high-achieving, highly-motivated business students who have a passion for leadership and international business. Every Global Scholar will study abroad for at least one semester and complete a Minor in International Business.
The Program’s mission is to develop perceptive business professionals well-equipped to confront challenges of a global environment through specialized curriculum and co-curricular activities designed to enhance any Gatton major. Through successful completion of the Program, students should accomplish the following goals:
- Develop an appreciation of a global business perspective
- Develop the ability to communicate and work effectively in diverse teams
- Gain knowledge and exposure to international business practices and environments
- Galvanize leadership and professional skills through scholastic rigor and community engagement
In pursuit of these goals, the Global Scholars Program values:
- Academic excellence
- Self-discovery and creativity
- Diversity of opinion, ethnicity, culture, and experience
Global Scholars cohorted classes are required. Global Scholars students should schedule other course work and extracurricular activities around these required classes.
Education Abroad Semester
Most Global Scholars study abroad during the junior year:
- Business or Economics class taken abroad at the 200-level or above Credit(s): 3
Total hours: 18 †
†*The accounting and economics classes are not counted in the total because they are College-wide requirements.
Additional hours are required for the International Business Minor:
Total additional International Business Minor hours: 12
Global Scholars students are held to higher standards. Students earning a 3.4 UK cumulative grade-point average (GPA) are in good academic standing within the Global Scholars Program. Students earning less than the expected 3.4 cumulative GPA are still in good academic standing if they meet the minimum standards outlined below:
- End of First Year: 3.0 cumulative UK GPA
- End of Second Year: 3.2 cumulative UK GPA
- End of Third Year through Graduation: 3.4 cumulative UK GPA
Students who earn less than a 3.0 term GPA during their first semester will automatically be placed on probation. Sophomores and Juniors can also be placed on probation if their term and/or cumulative GPA is below the minimum standard and are not demonstrating progress towards the 3.4 cumulative UK GPA.
Global Scholar students must also meet the general academic standards of Gatton College. All standards of the University of Kentucky, such as academic honesty and integrity, must also be upheld. Should a student fail to meet any of these standards, this may warrant immediate expulsion from the Global Scholars Program. In some cases, the student in question may be eligible for Global Scholars Program probation.