The PhD program in gerontology employs a curriculum designed to establish the knowledge base and especially the thinking/methodological skills necessary to successfully contribute to gerontology scholarship. The curriculum consists of 41 hours of course work plus directed studies and research within a program of study that involves six interlocking elements:
• a required core in gerontology
• specialized coursework in a substantive thematic research domain
• training in appropriate and supportive research methods
• grounding in public health concepts
• a qualifying examination
• a dissertation
The Ph.D. Program in Gerontology encourages applications from individuals having expressed interests in advanced theoretical and research-based studies of aging processes or aged individuals and populations. Complete applications that will be considered for admission to the Gerontology Program must include:
• Application Form and fee payment
• Official transcripts of all colleges and universities attended
• Official report of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
• (International Students) Official TOEFL report
• At least three (3) letters of reference
• Personal statement of interests, doctoral study plans, and career goals.
Students are encouraged to submit samples of scholarly writing, and are strongly encouraged to visit the program before admission decisions are made. All complete applications will be evaluated not only for evidence of strong academic accomplishment and high professional standards, but for evidence of a strong potential for success in advanced graduate studies and careers in gerontology-related fields.
The PhD program in gerontology employs a curriculum designed to establish the knowledge base and especially the thinking/methodological skills necessary to successfully contribute to gerontology scholarship.
The following curricular requirements are presented as a guide to your matriculation through the program. Depending on your previous coursework, there may be changes and alternatives suggested by your advisor.