May 22, 2024  
2021-2022 Graduate Bulletin 
2021-2022 Graduate Bulletin [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

General Information

Tuition and Fees

Fellowships and Assistantships

Student Loans

Health Services

Student ID Card (UKID)

Disability Services



Tuition and Fees

To see the current Tuition and Fees for graduate students, including those that are specific to certain programs, courses, etc., please go the University of Kentucky Registrar’s page and click on the “Tuition and Fees” tab.

Fellowships and Assistantships

Financial assistance is available in the form of fellowships and assistantships, as well as research funding. A fellowship is a non-service award made to superior students to assist in the pursuit of an advanced degree. An assistantship is an appointment to perform specified teaching or research duties. The University of Kentucky honors the following Resolution Regarding Graduate Scholars, Fellows, Trainees and Assistants Adopted by the Council of Graduate Schools in the United States:

“Acceptance of an offer of financial support (such as a graduate scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, or assistantship) for the next academic year by a prospective or enrolled graduate student completes an agreement that both student and graduate school expect to honor. In that context, the conditions affecting such offers and their acceptance must be defined carefully and understood by all parties.” “Students are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15; earlier deadlines for acceptance of such offers violate the intent of this Resolution. In those instances in which a student accepts an offer before April 15, and subsequently desires to withdraw that acceptance, the student may submit in writing a resignation of the appointment at any time through April 15. However, an acceptance given or left in force after April 15 commits the student not to accept another offer without first obtaining a written release from the institution to which the commitment has been made. Similarly, an offer made by an institution after April 15 is conditional on presentation by the student of a written release from any previously accepted offer. It is further agreed by the institutions and organizations subscribing to the above Resolution that a copy of this Resolution should accompany every scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, and assistantship offer.”


There are non-service fellowships available in all areas of graduate work. The majority of these fellowships carry a tuition scholarship and student health insurance as well as a stipend. Tenure may be from one to three years, depending on fellowship type. While fellowships are formally awarded by the Graduate School, nominations for most fellowships are made by the department in which a student is enrolled or seeks to enroll. To see the Fellowship awards offered by the Graduate School please go to

Almost all fellowships are awarded beginning with the fall semester. Departments make fellowship nominations at the beginning of the spring semester for the next academic year, so students interested in a fellowship should work with their DGS to ensure submission of applications and all supporting documents before that time. Later applicants have a reduced chance of obtaining a fellowship. Notification regarding awarding of fellowships comes from the Graduate School by early May.


Approximately 1500 teaching or research assistantships are available from departments and other units of the University. In addition to an assistantship stipend, full or partial tuition scholarships and student health insurance are available for most assistantship holders. The majority of assistantships are awarded beginning with the fall semester. Students interested in an assistantship should submit applications to obtaining an assistantship. Most assistantship decisions are made by April for the coming academic year.

Notification of an assistantship comes from the department. Questions about the availability of positions and the status of assistantship applications should be addressed to the Director of Graduate Studies in the department a student seeks to enter

Student Loans

U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens may apply for federally supported loans and work-study assistance. To be considered, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), available in the UK Student Financial Aid Office, 128 Funkhouser Building, Lexington, KY 40506-0054, 859-257-3172; fax 859-257-4398. Students may also apply online at or go to

Health Services

University Health Service

Not all graduate students are required to pay the health fee. Only full-time students in nine hours or more pay the mandatory health fee via their student account. For all other students, including those in zero and two-credit hour courses, the health fee is optional. Full-time graduate students who have paid the health fee have access to University Health Service (Student Health) at little or no cost. Part-time and zero or two-credit hour students may access University Health Service by voluntarily paying a health fee or by being seen on a fee-for service basis. To use University Health Service in the summer, all students must pay the summer health fee or pay on a fee-for-service basis. All voluntary requests for the health fee should be made to Student Account Services. Services related to hospitalization, surgical procedures, accident care and any other health care provided outside University Health Service, are not covered by the health fee. The University, including University Hospital, assumes no responsibility for a student’s medical expenses.

The convenience of an on-campus health care facility, a low-cost prepaid plan for outpatient services, and a student group health insurance plan are designed to make UK’s total health plan attractive and economical for graduate and professional students, both full-time and part-time.

All full-time students must pay the student health fee in fall and spring semesters which entitles them to medical and mental health care at the University Health Service. For students who attend either of the summer sessions, the health fee is optional. Part-time students may prepay the student health fee or may use the health service on a fee-for-service basis; the health fee may be paid at the Student Billing Office.

The University Health Service is located on S. Limestone Street. The clinic is staffed by physicians, nurse practitioners, psychiatrists, and other health professionals. Spouses of eligible students are eligible to receive their primary care at the University Health Service. They are charged for all services rendered. Children and other family members are not eligible. Services covered by the health fee include: unlimited visits to clinicians for illness or injury, some laboratory services and x-rays ordered by the health service clinician as part of evaluation for an illness or injury, some medications, allergy shots and immunizations, and visits to the professionals in the Mental Health Service. For additional information, contact the University Health Service at 859-323-2778.

Health Insurance

Services related to hospitalization, surgical procedures, accident care, and any other health care provided outside the University Health Service, are not covered by the health fee. The University of Kentucky strongly endorses the belief that students should have health insurance, either provided by their parents’ policy or by an independent insurance company. The University, including the University Hospital, assumes no responsibility for a student’s medical expenses.

Health Insurance Requirements for International Students

The University of Kentucky has a mandatory health insurance program for all international students. International students who are in F-1 and J-1 visa status will be charged for the health insurance plan along with their tuition and fees. Students who have purchased health insurance in their home countries or who are covered as a dependent on a U.S. plan may be eligible for a waiver. J-2 dependents who enroll in classes will be charged for the health insurance along with their tuition and fees. International students on a J-1 or F-1 visa are required to purchase health insurance for all of their dependents. International students with questions about health insurance should contact the health insurance coordinator in the Office of International Affairs at 859-257-4067 ext. 238.

Health Plan Coverage for Graduate TA, RA, GA, & Institutional Fellows

Health plan coverage is provided to all enrolled and degree-seeking graduate students with full-time teaching, research, or graduate assistantships, full-time fellowship recipients, or a combination of these positions. The Student Health Plan Office administers this program. The health plan is provided to eligible graduate students at no cost. The student health plan is a preferred provider organization (PPO), and UK Hospital and UK College of Medicine physicians are the in area preferred providers. When receiving treatment away from UK, students can expect higher out-of-pocket costs. Additionally, the plan is an illness and injury plan only; it does not provide for preventive care or coverage of treatment in the absence of illness or injury, except as specifically provided in the policy.

Student Health Plan

The student insurance plan is a preferred provider organization (PPO), and UK Hospital and UK College of Medicine physicians are the preferred providers. When receiving treatment away from UK, you can expect significantly higher out-of-pocket costs. Additionally, the plan is an illness and injury plan only; it does not provide for preventive care or coverage of treatment in the absence of illness or injury, except as specifically provided in the policy. The annual policy provides year-round coverage. Students may also purchase coverage for their spouse and/or children. The premium may be paid annually, semi-annually, or quarterly by check, Visa, or MasterCard. Student enrollment may be continued from one year to the next by reenrolling within 14 days from the enrollment date. Although students are encouraged to enroll at the beginning of the school year, enrollment is available throughout the policy year. Information packets for the upcoming school year are available in mid-July at the University Health Service. For further information and enrollment dates, call 859-323-5823, ext. 230.

Counseling & Testing Center

The University Counseling and Testing Center has a staff of licensed psychologists whose primary function is to address the emotional/psychological issues of both undergraduate and graduate students. Some typical concerns of graduate students include feelings of depression, anxiety, stress due to the demands of graduate school, quality of interpersonal relationships, loneliness and isolation, grief, time management, refinement of critical thinking skills, career and life planning, and other issues of a personal nature.

All counseling sessions are free, voluntary, and confidential. The services are available by appointment to fee-paying students enrolled for at least six semester hours. Graduate students enrolled for thesis or dissertation hours also are eligible. In addition to counseling with individual students, the Center offers couples (significant others) and group counseling. General counseling groups are ongoing and reconstituted each semester. Participants work on a variety of issues. There are also special focus groups such as Bridges (a support group for graduate African-American women), an eating disorders group, and a discussion group for LD/ADHD. Appointments and further information may be obtained by calling 859-257-8701 or by coming to the Center, 301 Frazee Hall.

Student ID Card (UKID)

All students admitted to the University (both full-time and part-time) are expected to obtain a student ID card (UKID). This is a permanent card, which becomes valid each semester when fees are paid. The first ID card is provided without cost. Students who lose their UKID should report the loss immediately to the UKID Office (859-257-1378), the Diner/Plus Account Office (859-257-6159), or any Food Service location. The UKID is the property of the University of Kentucky and is to be returned to the Dean of Students upon termination of student status.

Disability Services

Students with disabilities should call or stop by the Disability Resource Center, 407 Multidisciplinary Science Building, 725 Rose Street, or call 859-257-2754. The staff will assist students with information about accessible parking, bus services, and/or special needs.


The UK Graduate and Family Housing operates apartments for single graduate students and student families. The apartments are rented on a 12-month lease agreement basis. For more information, contact UK Graduate and Family Housing, 300 Alumni Drive, Apt. 156., Lexington, KY 40508; 859-257-3721; e-mail; or see .